India got its independence in 1947. But there are so many countries which got independence way before or after that. There are even countries which are not independent even now. Croatia – this country has got super famous after the FIFA 2018 world cup.
CEO & Trends bring you 15 things you must know about Croatia:
- If a world map is spread flat on a surface, the town of Ludbreg, Croatia would come at the exact centre of it!
- The population of the nation is a mere 4,164,783! There are more than 1,000 islands in the country.
- The Socialist Republic of Croatia obtained freedom and was renamed as ‘Republic of Croatia’ on 26 June 1991. Till then, it was under the rule of the ultranationalist, fascist Ustase. Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy also backed them.
- The oldest inhabited city in Europe is the eastern Croatian city of Vinkovci. Vinkovci, a city in eastern Croatia, has been inhabited for the past 8,000 years. It, is, therefore, the oldest inhabited city in Europe.
- Croatians had their very own set of alphabets. The Glagolitic alphabet was retained only by the residents of Croatia, also known as Croats. They used these alphabets from the 12th century to the 20th century, principally in the liturgy.
- In Croatia, the game of football which is also called ‘Nogomet’, is the most popular sport played in the country. The Croatian Football Federation leads the sport in the country. It is played in 4 official parts – the domestic league which consists of three echelons in the hierarchy, and one national team which represents the state as a whole.
- From the time the country got its independence, the country has churned out numerous players who have performed extremely well in many of most highly regarded European leagues. These players played for the national team and secured third place at the 1998 World Cup. It also has been in the final of 2018 World Cup.
- The teams from Croatia have also been a part of Champions Europa League, Super Cup, FIFA Club World Cup, FIFA World Cup (National Team), UEFA European Championship (National Team), UEFA Nations League (National Team).
- The Game of Thrones Kings Landing is, in fact, Dubrovnik in Croatia.
- It has been heard that there are names of 2 Croatians on the map of the Moon. The names which are said to be mentioned are Scientists J.R.Boskovic and A. Mohorovicic.
- Almost 10% of the country is made up of 11 nature parks, 8 national parks and 2 nature reserves. Croatia is a rich country in terms of natural beauty.
- The world’s first and only musical sea organ Morske Orgulje is in Zadar, Croatia.
- It has the highest number of UNESCO Intangible goods across any European country.
- The country is the inventor of what we use frequently these days – The necktie. The world’s biggest necktie ever, which measured an astonishing 808 metres, was kept on display in Croatia. The tie took 5 days to complete and it was tied around the Pula Arena in 2003.
- Slavoljub Penkala had invented a mechanical pencil in 1906, called Penkala. The Penkala, nowadays, is called Pen.